ozopenletter.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This site was born on 31 March 2011.  Reactivated on 23 September 2015 Hit Counter reset to 0  ~~With your help it will grow into something worthwhile.~~

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convenience Gone Mad  (Read 218 times)

Icyfroth

• Mentat
Convenience Gone Mad
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »

The founder of Clean Up Australia Day has labelled the sale of packaged peeled oranges in the United States as "convenience gone mad".

Twitter user Nathalie Gordon shared a photo of the peeled fruit online, after she spotted the new concept on the shelves of US upscale supermarket Whole Foods.

Her tweet about the skinless citrus has since gone viral, attracting more than 80,000 retweets.

Reponses ranged from those who were outraged by the wastage and deriding the concept as "stupid", while others said they liked the convenience.

"Guess I can continue not eating oranges then, since the pain in my hands makes removing the peel hard on me, thanks!" Loremaster Becks tweeted.

But Clean Up Australia Day founder Ian Kiernan said the payoff for convenience was not worth ruining the environment.

As more than 700,000 people took to streets, waterways and parklands for the annual clean up event on Sunday, Mr Kiernan said he would not want to see the peeled products on Australian shelves.

"This is absolutely stupid," he said.

"Mother Nature packages fruits perfect; it's just madness.

"Plastics are made mostly from oil, and while it's durable and has many benefits in the world, plastics are a terrible waste.

"This is convenience gone mad really.

According to US National Park Service, it can take up to 450 years for a plastic beverage bottle to degrade. An orange peel would only take up to five weeks.

Throughout the country at more than 7,000 clean up sites, volunteers are expected to collect at least 16,000 tonnes of rubbish on Clean Up Australia Day.

Last year, more than a third of items collected were plastics including food wrappers and plastic bottles.

"People need to remember that what they dropped on the street will likely end up on our waterways," Mr Kiernan said.

The Clean Up Australia Day group is pushing for Australia-wide container deposit legislation to allow people to collect money, similar to SA, in return for recycling cans and bottles.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-06/packaged-peeled-oranges-convenience-gone-mad/7224368

The sad thing is I can just see how people would buy those for the convenience of not having to peel their oranges, without a thought for the waste created.

I love mangoes, but I don't buy them because they're too messy to eat!
Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

Gossamer

• Very Active
Re: Convenience Gone Mad
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 11:48:10 AM »

I can see that some marks on fruit may force a store manager to bin it, due to consumers wanting perfect looking fruit. 

In this "skinned oranges" event, maybe the bad bits are cut off and the rest saved for "profit". 

I've often thought this with packaged Fruit Salads available instore.

Cheers

• Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »

In this mad dash crazy time poor world that has evolved, I'm all for healthy convenience fruits.

I'd much rather my kids be able to grab those bagged pre cut apples, oranges. other fruits, packaged into the correct single portions that scoff down a pie or a bunch of busicuits.

If it's quick and easy, the kids and adults are likely to eat it and perhaps make some healthier choices for their nutrition.

Can't take things such as a small knife to school these days to peel your orange, cut your apple, peel your kiwi fruit - but you can load their lunchboxes with all those other prepacked processed muslie bars carp that are quick and easy to eat.

Oh, and if mum sends a few bickies - I hope she doesn't send the whole package for the sake of the environment - hope she just pops an adequate sized portion into another container for the little one to take off to school,.
"Some people go their whole lives without ever really living for a minute."

Kim

• Sage
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:39:29 PM »

Tiny prepackaged bag of cut up carrots (not freshly cut) for a $1 vs a bag of whole carrots for $1-2.

I wouldn't buy the tiny pre cut bags. Freshly cut fruit and vege are best.

A child can't eat an apple these days without it being cut up for them? A piece of peeled at home carrot?

Only parents with excess money would spend $3 (e.g. for 3 kids  at school) on a small portion per day ( pre cut bags) of their childs lunch/play lunch.

Plus there is the plastic waste issue. Bring food from home in plastic containers that are washed and reused. Or buy oreoackaged stuff and throw out plastic bags.

Icyfroth

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »

I used to be jealous of those kids whose Mum used to peel their oranges in a long spiral then wrap it back around the orange and pack it in with the sandwiches.

I had a working Mum, which was rare in those days. She never had time to worry about peeling fruit for the lunch box. She'd just put in the whole thing.

Nowadays, just about every kid has a working Mum.
Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

Kim

• Sage
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 02:44:54 PM »

Kids can still eat apples whole though. A lot of the apples for sale are quite small.

Mums, Dads or kids themselves  at home could section up an orange or mandarin and put the sections in reusable plastic container.

As pointed out in the op it is the plastic packaging for pre-prepared  food that is a big problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.