ozopenletter.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This site was born on 31 March 2011.  Reactivated on 23 September 2015 Hit Counter reset to 0  ~~With your help it will grow into something worthwhile.~~

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Global warming in a nutshell?  (Read 8728 times)

Poddy

• Sage
  • *Admin, Mod, Member
Re: Global warming in a nutshell?
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »

The same people who fund the tripe poddy peddles also fund tobacco's fight against measures like plain packaging .  these two toxic legal industries employ the same media arm. :)

Would you like to demonstrate that frownie or are you just regurgitating the same old baseless diatribe according to you leftie mantra?
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

Icyfroth

• Mentat
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2016, 12:57:53 PM »

a scientist like that would be very quickly shouted down and his findings discredited if they went against the certain company interests.
Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

Frownland

• Sage
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2016, 02:05:41 PM »

''Would you like to demonstrate that frownie or are you just regurgitating the same old baseless diatribe according to you leftie mantra?''

the line ''leftie mantra'' is in fact what discredits you most apart from the dismal carp you C and P here. This issue isn't political it's about survival . as long as you only look at the ''approved reading'' of the side you have chosen you will always be ignorant. I've looked at the spencer (etc) arguments and put them aside .. you haven't looked outside the cocoon you feel safe in and will remain clueless as a result. even a cursory look at what is going on around you should trigger some sort of reaction .. a desire to revisit the material at least ? but no .. still stuck in Koch bros land . sad really , but proof stubborn stupidity can override reality  :)

Frownland

• Sage
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »

Even ExxonMobil, which spent $16m (£11m) between 1998 and 2005 to fund groups that spread disinformation about climate science, now prominently acknowledges on their website that “rising greenhouse gas emissions pose significant risks to society and ecosystems.”

But appearances can be deceiving.

For one, BP still channels funds through its political action committee to climate science-denying US policymakers such as senator James Inhofe, chair of the senate’s environment and public works committee. While such direct contributions to politicians are a matter of public record, companies continue to sow climate doubt and influence climate policy in ways that are far more opaque.

For instance, recently released documents show that ExxonMobil gave more than $75,000 between 2008 and 2010 to secretly support the work of Willie Soon, a contrarian climate researcher at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, well after the company announced it would halt such funding. Soon’s research has sought to downplay the human influence on global warming.

This follows revelations that Southern Company, one of the largest utilities in the US, spent $400,000 between 2006 and 2015 to fund Soon, supporting his research, Congressional testimony, and other “deliverables” while specifying that its funding be disclosed only with express company permission.

Robert Gehri, the Southern Company employee who authorised this funding was one of a dozen industry representatives who, on behalf of the American Petroleum Institute, created a $6m campaign in 1998 that misled the public about climate science. Among other strategies, he oversaw the covert funding of “independent” scientists.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/25/fossil-fuel-firms-are-still-bankrolling-climate-denial-lobby-groups

Poddy

• Sage
  • *Admin, Mod, Member
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2016, 02:32:30 PM »

Frownie, I note that you have once again side stepped the question and offered nothing as where the 97% consensus was derived from.

Your claim that it is a matter of "survival" yet you offer no explanation as to what the threat to survival is, all that you offer is that it is real but not what the threat is. the facts remain that there has been no significant rise in temperature in the last two decade or so. You have stated that the climate is changing but you offer no definitive degree of what and how it is changing. The climate has always changed and will continue to change due to many variable factors that can never be all included in any computer model. In fact the computer models that exist have been proven to have been fudged. The events predicted by those models and predictions made by the so called climate scientists have not eventuated. yet you firmly hold on to the stuff that you have been led to believe.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

Poddy

• Sage
  • *Admin, Mod, Member
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2016, 02:44:10 PM »

Have a good look at you cast of players in the farce
Tell me that there are no vested interests there

Peter C Frumhoff is the director of science and policy at the Union of Concerned Scientists and a former Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change lead author. Naomi Oreskes is a professor of the history of science at Harvard University and the author with Erik M Conway of Merchants of Doubt, which is the subject of a new documentary, and The Collapse of Western Civilisation.

Frownland

• Sage
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2016, 02:44:22 PM »

''The events predicted by those models and predictions made by the so called climate scientists have not eventuated. yet you firmly hold on to the stuff that you have been led to believe.''

http://scottvalentine.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/dunlap_cc_denial.302183828.pdf

Poddy

• Sage
  • *Admin, Mod, Member
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2016, 03:09:46 PM »

What has the opinion of 2 sociologist have to do with the issue? Are you going to say that they don't have a vested interest?

chickaboom

• Veteran
  • Troll Hunter
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2016, 03:14:20 PM »

Google the effects possible climate change is having
On the polar icecaps.
Since monitering by satellite only for the last
Twenty years, the northern hemisphere caps are
Melting a rate of 9% every decade.
Mire in the last 20 than is thought to have happened
In the last 20, 000 years.
These play an integral part in the earths cooling
System.
There is believed to be 7000 feet of ice in antarctica.
Over an expanse of millions of square feet.
There is enough ice there, if was to melt,  to raise
The level of the worlds oceans 200 feet.
A 2 degree drop in world temperature contributed to the
Last ice age.
So a one degree raise, seemingly insignificant,
Has already impacted  Ocean levels have raised
Over the last 20 years 11+ mm.
This is very disturbing evidence of climate change,
Whether or not man has caused the change is
Debatable, but the effects of mankind  on the world
And its resources, has to impact sooner or later.

Frownland

• Sage
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »

What has the opinion of 2 sociologist have to do with the issue? Are you going to say that they don't have a vested interest?

If you read the article you'd know it isn't about the science itself , the article relates to the corruption of the process and the activities involved.  :)
I'ts one of many sources .

chickaboom

• Veteran
  • Troll Hunter
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »

Google the effect to lichen by pollution and
Temperature rise.
This is the staple  of reindeer in the northern
hemisphere.
Slight changes in the earths overall temp has
A domino effect on all living organisms and
Certain organisms are indicators to change.
Like  a canary in a coal mine.
This also includes water organisms such as
Frogs.which are at the core of their ecosystem

Laxadanto

• Very Active
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »

97% is rubbish most of them were rent seekers and other bods who have no credentials.

It's funny how the old lied just keep surfacing.

I don't have a problem if there is "Global Warming" I'm just sick of the politics and the criminal fringe dwellers crying out for first world money when they have done nothing to clean up their own mess.
[/quote

Powell's survey covered  more than  24000 reviews of published papers. Can you enlighten us as to  which of those 24000+ reviewers were 'rent seekers' and provide evidence to support this? You don't have to name them all - just a dozen would do.

Mango4me

• Veteran
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »

It is just an excuse to use the term "rent seekers", last year's oft quoted description of almost anybody. 

I was hoping that the new year would bring another fave.

lightningdance

• Sage
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2016, 10:29:46 AM »

Rent seekers is the only description that fits. Sorry if your don't like it.

lightningdance

• Sage
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »

"Global Warming" seems to be the topic of choice of leftists, they believe they own it and use it politically all the time.

Why it has been made into a political football, ask Kevin Rudd who lived and died on it, it destroyed him and ultimately destroyed the Labor party.

Take the politics out of it, take the rent seekers out of and just get on with what our country is doing to mitigate any Global Warming.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 23 queries.